19 December 2016

THE LIFE OF EDIE || BLOGMAS


Who Or What Inspire Your Style?
I think my biggest inspiration in terms of my style is film and tv. I actually did a post all about that 
(which you can access here), basically saying how I get so wound up in the aesthetic and tone of a film that I seek to recreate the look of a character. That's definitely more significant for 
me than models or what I see on the high street.

If You Could Spread One Message Around The World, What Would It Be?
I honestly can't decide between veganism or sustainable and ethical fashion. Both hugely impact the environment, welfare of animals and humans, and are just very important to me. I think if everyone educated themselves and didn't shrug off the idea, we could change the world.



Your Favourite Places In London?

My new found favourite place, well, I knew it was there but not really, is a little road off brick lane. There's a cafe called The Canvas which is the sweetest place I've ever been in. It's all yellow and they do the best food, they do self esteem classes, you can sit in a beautiful garden out the back and there's a building where you can write on the walls. They encourage you to stay as long as you want and to treat it as your living room. Also across from there is an amazing, and HUGE, vintage shop called Blitz. Another one of my favourite places around that area is an underground vintage market, where you find the best things and not many people know about it. I buy most of my clothes there to be honest.

What Is Your Future Aspiration In Life? 
I'd love to be doing a number of things. I want to campaign and protest for animal and human rights, I want to pursue acting even further, I want to carry on making art every day, I want to run and meditate and do yoga every day, I want to carry on blogging, I want to work in the fashion industry (I don't know as what but I just know I need to). As long as I'm doing something that keeps me interested, that I enjoy doing and inspires me, I can't ask for any more than that.


Becoming Vegan Is Such A Big Choice, What Inspired You? And What Is Hands Down Your Favourite Meal?
I love this question, where do I even start. I get asked this a lot and it can be quite awkward to try to 
explain to an adult who's grown up eating animal products why I, as a 14 year old, have decided not 
to. Around April time I started to feel completely awful eating animals, and so, after a lot of begging and explaining, my parents let me be vegetarian. Obviously I secretly wanted to be vegan but I knew they'd explode if they found out. I actually watched a few documentaries, including Forks Over Knives (health reasons to go vegan) and Earthlings (moral reasons to go vegan), but perhaps the one that inspired me most was Cowspiracy. It's a truly amazing film about the environmental impacts of the meat and dairy industry. It doesn't have any violent images of animals being slaughtered or anything, it's just an incredibly eye-opening film that everyone needs to see. After I finished watching it I was so overwhelmed and confused as to why people where still eating animal products, that I started to cry and ran downstairs and said I needed to be vegan. It took three weeks of constant begging for my family to finally cave. 

I've been vegan for four months and I honestly couldn't me happier knowing I'm not absorbing the energy of sad dead, things, I'm not contributing to any animals being harmed and I'm healthier. I've never felt better in myself or in regards to what's around me. Wow, that was a long answer. 

Anyway, seeing as it's been such a big year for veganism and alternatives are everywhere, id say my favourite meal is the vegan pizza from Zizzi (but get it with spinach, garlic and olives - heaven). I also love to make a smoothie with 5 dates, 2 handfuls of spinach, flaxseeds, 2 bananas, 1 cup of ice and 1.5 cups of almond milk. People think vegans eat the same thing over and over but if anything, what I eat is so much more adventurous and delicious than what I ate before.

What Is Your Favourite Part Of Christmas?
My favourite part of Christmas... Christmas Eve. It's so magical. I light my Christmas Eve candle downstairs, we watch a Christmas film after a pub dinner and eat (VEGAN, they're amazing) mince pies. We put out reindeer food and a mince pie for santa and his reindeer, and we look at where santa is in the world. The excitement and joy I feel before I go to sleep is amazing, and as I've grown older 
that's never changed.


"Edie Whitehead is a 14 year old blogger from London who has been blogging about fashion and lifestyle for close to three years. Her site, thelifeofedie.com, attracts 5,000 people from all around the world per month and encourages them to wear what they want and do what they love. She posts content regularly, and as a result of this has worked with numerous brands such as TheBalm, W7, and Punky Pins. Edie has attended London Fashion Weekend, acted on BBC, and once even ridden an ostrich. She believes in colour and being carefree, plants and possibilities, fearlessness and f*cking owning it!"

Edie and I met back in the summer of 2014 at a fashion design course held at the Victoria & Albert Museum. Ever since then I have been glued to her blog, with 'The Life Of Edie' always being an open tab on my screen. Though I cannot say that I know her extremely well, I have watched her develop over these 2-3 years into a beautiful human with great love and kindness in her heart. She has definitely inspired me throughout my blogging and political journey and I know for certain that she has inspired many others too, and this opportunity to interview her has been a wish of mine for a very long time. I am very excited to see what she has planned for the coming year and I hope that she continues to grow positively in her mindset.


Thank you, Edie xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment